How To: Use App-V Unattended Installer
In this tutorial I’ll show you how you can use App-V Unattended Installer to build a complete App-V environment for testing purposes and small size production environment.
What is App-V Unattended Installer?!
Simply, it’s a combination of Windows PowerShell scripts running behind a simple GUI wizard that requires the user to input a couple of few elements and does all the necessary steps and configurations to setup App-V Server 4.6 SP1 according to “Microsoft App-V 4.6 SP1 Trial Guide“.
How to use it?!
As mentioned above, App-V Unattended Installer does all the installation and configuration from A to Z. So, you don’t have to install any pre-requisites before you use it. All you need is a Domain-Joined machine running just Windows Server 2008 R2.
Now, let start building the App-V environment by following the steps below:
1- After you download the App-V Unattended Installer, execute the AppVinstaller.exe
2- Once you launch the wizard you will be 3 steps away from your new App-V environment. Click Start to go to the first step.
3- In the first step you select the sources required for your step. We have 4 inputs (sources) required for this step.
– SQL Server 2008 R2: Make sure to use Std. or Ent. edition.
– App-V Server 4.6
– App-V Virtual Package: If you have any ready made sequenced app-v package, you can select it and the wizard will import it during the installation.
4- In the second step you enter the Active Directory configuration and the Credentials to be used by the wizard to do the installation.
– App-V OU: The name of Organization Unit (OU) that will contain App-V Users and Group.
– App-V Admin Group: The name of App-V Administrators Group.
– App-V Users Group: The name of App-V Users Group.
Enter a domain-admin credentials that will be used during the installation. You will not be able to proceed until you validate you credentials and make sure that you entered a valid username and password, and you account the part of Domain-Admin group.
5- The 3rd step is the last step where the wizard start the installation and configurations part. This step takes around 30 – 45 minutes to do the following:
– Create the required Active Directory Users and Groups
– Install and Configure IIS
– Install and Configure SQL Server
– Install and Configure App-V Server
– Import and Configure App-V Applications
6- After the installation, complete simply click Finish to close the wizard
Now, your app-v environment is up and running with all your virtual application and packages imported and configured. In order to validate you installation, install and configure App-V client on any other machine and try to connect to the server and launch your applications from the client’s machine.